Charlotte County, FL Logo

18500 Murdock Circle
Port Charlotte, FL 33948

Mobile Menu close icon
close search

Unlicensed Contractors & Contractor Complaints

A person that performs contracting without being licensed as a contractor can be charged with a 1st degree misdemeanor for the 1st offense and a 3rd degree felony for any offense after being found guilty of unlicensed contracting.

Owners wishing to file a complaint about a contractor may do so only after certain steps have already taken place which are described below. Note that complaints about poor workmanship are typically a civil issue. Community Development is unable to regulate these types of issues unless they rise to the level of violations of the building code.

Persons wishing to report unlicensed activity or contracting by email, please send it to

Local Licensed Contractors

Contractor license numbers beginning with an "R" or "AAA" are regulated by the county.​

Complaints against registered or locally licensed contractors should be filed with the Building Code/Licensing Division using the step outlined below in the STEPS FOR FILING A CONTRACTOR COMPLAINT section.

State Certified Contractors

​Contractor licenses beginning with a "C" are regulated by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

Complaints against State Certified Contractors should be filed with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. You can call the Unlicensed Activity Hotline at 1.866.532.1440 or access their website at:

Steps For Filing A Contractor Complaint (Licensed / Unlicensed)

​STEP 1: If a licensed contractor - per FS 558.004, a letter must be sent via certified mail to the contractor giving them Notice of the nature of the complaint and giving them opportunity to repair. Without this step Community Development will be unable to process the complaint. Once the letter has been sent proceed to STEP 2.

  • If unlicensed - proceed directly to STEP 2.

STEP 2: Print and complete the Uniform Complaint Form below. File this with Community Development along with the following applicable supporting documents:

  1. If a licensed contractor - copy of the letter to the contractor describing violations and giving them opportunity to repair along with the green card showing this was sent.
  2. Copy of the signed contract with the contractor or unlicensed entity.
  3. Proof of all payments to the contractor (copies of checks, receipts, etc.)
  4. Any other applicable documentation, pictures or communications.
  • Download Uniform Complaint Form Print and return with the required documentation | Deliver or mail to: Building Construction Services 18400 Murdock Circle, Port Charlotte, FL 33948

Delivering Exceptional Service

Questions? Issues?

Contact Us